Once A Giant Walked The Earth


Not for death! Not for death! 
But for life among the deathless 
In ageless, changeless, greener lands
Where no stain nor tear can abide
Therefrom your labour, you rest, 
Robed in glory. 
But on this hallowed spot of Balansa, 
Lies your mortal remains; 
Agandin, son of Adaayomah, 
Loving father and devoted husband. 
In that hour set with your maker, 
But unbeknownst to us mortal men, 
You made your bow in peace and quiet.




You were the fountain of life 
The light of hope
The captain in life’s ocean, 
My biggest fan and coach. 
Under your watchful, caring gaze
I raced with the swift
Your words of caution 
Lending motion to my little feet.
But in my innocence, 
I forgot you were my force of gravity. 
You ceased whilst I was in mid-race
Now I have to lift my own foot
And bring it down!
Alas for me!



The blazing sun did set at noon!
The eagles stopped in mid-flight
The birds quieted in mid-song
Even the cricket was quite as quiet
And the earth was silent and still
For a giant has fallen;
A mighty baobab has been uprooted;
The ageless kapok is felled. 
Who can, but stand such an hour in silence?


Oh Baba! Son of Adayomah,
Son of Adisimi, son of Abooyie,
Son of Anyinduima, 
Sage warrior, teacher, father, friend, 
Of the clan of Alam in the line of Atuga.
Why did you leave so soon?
I have a question to ask
Perhaps two.  




I stood at the gates you raised
But the compound was empty and still.
And my heart heaved like the drum
With the wooden trunk you played.
And I sat beside the hallowed mound
Beneath which you sleep in peace
And gaze with red misty eyes
As the sun dropped in the west
And with it all my youth!


So much is gone, yet much remain
The walls you raised still stand tall
And before them, I sat day after day
As the Buddha for the enlightenment
And sure as sure is my God
A new sun has risen in the east;
Golden and beautiful!
My fog lifted with the crippling dew, 
My eyes opened and I did see
Though my wings be gone,
My legs are made strong.
So I know, it is my turn...


University of Ghana
30th November, 2009.


Comments

Recent Posts

A Lively-Minded Journey Pt. 1

Halting Words for the 'Early' Jacob Adongo Atambilla

Buli Series 8 - Money in Buli

What is in a greeting?