Buli Series 1 - Introduction with Alphabets and Basic Sounds


Buli is the language of the Bulsa ethnic group in the Upper East and North East regions of Ghana. The name Bulsa is also spelt in official documents and elsewhere as Builsa but this author and many others believe that spelling to be quite incorrect. 

 

With regards to this series, let me say from the outset that I am not a language expert. This series is not a study of the origin of the language or its syntax or any of all those things that help people to learn a language in detail. In effect, therefore, considering my lack of training in language or linguistics, this endeavour may be described as a headstrong attempt (in the Buli Language; zupagruk tuima)

 

My zupagruk, however, comes from the motivation that it can be the force that would propel the more qualified ones to come out with the best material that can help us read and write Buli well. This is, therefore, more of a kindergarten introduction to the language. If you have no background in the language, it may not be of much help to you without extra help but maybe I am underestimating your abilities.

 

When I was 5 years old and went to class one (I didn’t have the benefit of crèche or kindergarten and nursery and all that), my teacher started us off with reading the basic sounds of the language i.e. BA, BE, BI, BO, BU.  I later found that those sounds help me to pronounce not only Buli names and words but English words as well. I am eternally grateful to him for this. I hope they can help you to also learn by breaking words into syllables. The concept of syllables works very well in the Buli language and most often words are spelt the way they are pronounced and vice versa. 'Silent letters' are rare (meaning I don't know any such words – a sign perhaps of my limited knowledge).  

 

I will consider my mission accomplished if anyone finds the material here useful in one way or another. I hope that the series will help young Buli learners and those who may be forgetting the language. 

 

As a learner myself, I am ever ready to hear your comments, criticisms, and suggestions for improvement as well as commendations and recommendations. So keep them coming. Let's start with the basics then; the Buli Alphabet and Basic Sounds.

 

Module 1

The Buli Alphabet

Basic Sounds/Words

References: 

1. Franz Kröger (1992). Buli-English Dictionary: With an Introductory Grammar and an Index English-Buli. Münster and Hamburg: Lit Verlag

2. Asuom ale Apiuk by Peter Wangara, GILLBT, 1998.  

3. Asuom ale Akalaasing ale sunsuelima nga chaab. Buli Traditional Stories 1. 1985 

4. Buli Wamagsima Gela. GILLBT, n.d 

5. Dii nying ale soa ate Abunoruk a ta zu-kaba la. Buli Traditional Stories 2.

6. www.buluk.de/new

7. Conversations with Bulsa in Buluk and elsewhere.








Comments

  1. Fi jiam jiam.
    Mag mag anaa yig waung juuk. We will get there

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your humbly introduction ( and your open or invitation to criticisms) . This will help us learn our language-buli better. I wish you the wisdom of God in this start .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to learn my language. Keep it up

    ReplyDelete
  4. good, keep it up , i need audio of the the alphabet to help learn. pm me on enyawson33@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. God richly bless you my brother

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wooow nice ❤️

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Recent Posts

A Lively-Minded Journey Pt. 1

Halting Words for the 'Early' Jacob Adongo Atambilla

Buli Series 8 - Money in Buli

What is in a greeting?