Give Your Sons Difficult Names

“Give your daughters difficult names.
Names that command the full use of the tongue.
My name makes you want to tell me the truth.
My name does not allow me to trust anyone
who cannot pronounce it right.”
      — Warsan Shire 
— 


When I was young,
I heard names that made us stop and listen
Akanlakum, Awadiirima
Names that made us think and think
Agyiabadek, Asuiyakomi
Names that made us pause to reflect
Akanvariwon, Akalaawomba
Names that made us gasp in wonder
Asuikanpuilikum, Akumbolisimi.


But now my ears are burdened with unfamiliar words
Monotonous droning that leaves the spirit dry
Meaningless mutterings without thought or intent
Without root, stem or crown
Many invoke the Godhead in fashion, without true reverence;
Awen-this, Awen-that, Everything-Awen
Godly names without godly lessons,
Like the fake imported dresses we wear, sparkling, but too short
To cover our shame and too light to shield us from the cold


I long for names that fill the mouth with wonder
Aginganakumbagogliisi, Akankpabinaam, Anganvuutawie
Names that stir the heart with godly wisdom
Angamboarigaantiim, Akanpaibadai, Akanjoagade,
Names that you have to pause before you speak them
Those are the names that speak our history, language, ancestry, lineage, pain, and purpose.
That speak fire into our bones.


I have seen Prince walking barefoot in the market square,
I have seen Agyakayiok that is not useless at all.
I have seen Awenbiik the highway robber murder without remorse,
I have seen Agyabiok rescuing a life from the clutches of death. 
And we have been robbed many times by Peters, Pauls and Jacobs 
Your name, is your name, not your character or destiny. 
And if we lose that too, who will we say that we are?


Give your sons difficult names, 
Living names that speak to us
That cannot be said without thought
That is not merely a label but truly identifies
And will not leave you wondering if it's you or not
Bring back our names, bring back our identity. 
It is perhaps the only thing that is not assimilated?


Tamale 14/06/2024

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx


Possible meanings of Bulsa names in this poem:

Akanlakum – we do not laugh at death

Awadiirima – that which takes us by surprise

Agyiabadek – They will wear themselves out/ they will get fed up eventually.

Asuiyakomi – I’m in great anguish (or a thing of great annoyance)

Akanvariwon – You cannot rob another’s luck/destiny

Akalaawomba – I sit and listen to them (e.g. the naysayers)

Asuikanpuilikum – I will not be disappointed/unhappy when death comes

Akumbolisimi – death has ruined me/cleaned me

Aginganakumbagogliisi – The drums sound and we dance in ecstasy

Akankpabinaam – we do not rush wealth/riches

Anganvuutawie – Matters of the living

Angamboarigaantiim - Many loved ones (or a large family) is better than juju

Akanpaibadai – We do not know the day/hour of death

Akumyem – We die once (it is the same death that comes for us all)

Akumkatiim – there is no medicine for Death

Akanjogade - we shall not starve 

Agyakayiok – A useless person

Awenbiik – the son of God (or a godly person)

Agyabiok – A wicked person.

 

Comments

Post a Comment

Recent Posts

Buli Series 1 - Introduction with Alphabets and Basic Sounds

Fathers

Buli Series 10: The Parts of the Body (Nyingka Kabtinga)