A Wild, Beautiful Thing


Some things were never meant for fences,
never meant to be still.
They belong to wide horizons,
to open skies and places without names.

 


The sun on skin, the wind in hair,
thunder in the distance, dust beneath hooves,
riding where the earth has no fences,
where the horizon stretches on forever.

 


There is something untamed in it,
something the world could never quite contain.
And still, somehow, a smile
can make everything feel like home.

 


So ride on, beautiful one,
through every field, every sunset, every dream.
I’m simply grateful
that in a world this wide and wild,
I somehow found you, Atenglie*.
 
And I love you.

 
Banjul
11/09/26.


*Atenglie is a Bulsa name for a girl which means "Daughter of the Earth" or "Child of the land"

Comments

  1. Awwww this is so sweet and uplifting to read. Nothing can truly limit us… even through the storms, love will always carry us through. Atenglie loves you right back 🥰😊❤️ and thanks you for making her day brighter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is incredible, man. I love how you paint the picture of that big, untamed landscape. The emotional architecture is superb. It feels like a poem that is about a landscape and a horse for most of its length, and only gradually reveals that the real subject is a person whose smile feels like home!
    The second stanza is probably my favourite. “The sun on skin, the wind in hair, thunder in the distance, dust beneath hooves…..”
    I can almost see the image while reading it. And importantly, it doesn’t just describe, it gives the picture movement and atmosphere. Sun, wind, thunder, dust, hooves, horizon. There’s a sense of freedom and scale. There’s real creativity and talent here. Kudos to you!👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading. I appreciate your keen eye and appreciation of imagery!👍

      Delete
  3. Love indeed has no bounds,it makes it better with a touch of sparkly smile. The world has no limitations so don't limit your self in everything you do. Mr. Poet, you are simply amazing 👏

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good as always Thom 👌 👏 👍

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I’ve got the perfect poem to serenade her. The imagery of the second stanza is unmatched.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So nice, I like this poem

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hooooo! Soo soothing 🥰🥰

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is naturally inspiring

    ReplyDelete
  9. This feels like a classic story set to music 🤗. Sweeping landscapes, open horizons, and a beautiful emotional landing at the end. This is a powerful piece of writing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Labels

Show more

Popular Posts

The Emperor's New Clothes

Buli Series 1 - Introduction with Alphabets and Basic Sounds

If God Wills It

Ash Wednesday