2017, My Dancing Year!


It is almost midnight, 31st December 2017. I am jumping and shouting in church with millions of others worldwide or at least in Ghana. Saying thanks to God for seeing me through the year 2017. After more than 30 minutes of jubilant praise, we settle down for the final blessing. As the priest raises the monstrance with the body of Christ to bless us, a lady beside me sighed and said: “At last we say goodbye to this horrible year”. I turned to look at her and realized she was breathing heavily, and sweating profusely from ecstatic dancing and shouting.

I had just been doing the same thing and I was also breathless and feeling wet and sticky under my sweater. I had put on a sweater because I was afraid it would get cold as the night wore on in this harmattan season. Indeed, many others were dressed like me. Yes, we knew our weather well but we had underestimated how ecstatic and boisterous our celebration would be once the hour arrived. So, all the ceiling fans were in full swing and many handkerchiefs and other objects were employed to help keep us cool.

Read: Village Boy Impressions - Why Dream

The lady’s statement had quite startled me. And when I was alone in my room, I could not help revisiting it and wondering why so many of us were jubilating and screaming our lungs out over the passage of a year which we had jubilated and screamed to welcome just 12 months ago. There were about 500 people in my church and we were all trying to outdo each other in dancing and shouting. But what reasons did we individually have? Were we all celebrating good things in 2017 or happy that it was going/gone at last? I realized from the lady’s comments that we were all probably celebrating different things. For some, relief that the year was ended; for others, breathless joy over what had been achieved in the year ending. I count myself among the later.

2017 has been a good year for me, truth be told! All aspects of my life; family, friends, work, finance, health, name it. I have had a lot to smile about, to celebrate and to cherish. And still, a lot more to look forward to. I could not complain and I would not complain. I have traveled domestically and internationally in 2017 nearly more frequently than I did in many other years within the past decade. I have met and worked with many wonderful people and have learnt a lot in the process. I have been part and contributed to many fulfilling activities and causes and have discovered amazing things about myself and other people. I am grateful for that.

Read: Village Boy ImpressionsBird Scaring

So, I am glad to see 2017 go and to welcome 2018. But it is with a gladsome longing that I do so. When I sigh, it is not out of relief to see 2017 go but out of fond memories of a fulfilling year. I welcome 2018 with positive energy and hope; hope that my smile would not fade and my song never end. That I would know God better, spend more quality time with my family, enjoy doing much productive work, make more money, manage and grow my money better, make more people happy and be happy seeing others happy.

Your 2017 may not have been like mine but do not curse it or think bad of it. Maybe, it was your deep breath before the plunge into better things. Relax, think kindly of 2017 and embrace 2018 with hope and enthusiasm.

May 2018 be a great year for you and yours!
Happy New Year!!!


John

Comments

Recent Posts

A Lively-Minded Journey Pt. 1

Halting Words for the 'Early' Jacob Adongo Atambilla

What is in a greeting?

Why the Chameleon Has a Broken Head