Because The Crag was Near



I was happy when the long

Awaited rain started pouring.

But the soft shower soon matured

Into a strong fearful storm.

I saw the roofs ripped apart by the

Horrendous winds that blew.

Like a Gazelle in search of water

I run in search of the Crag


Read: Village Boy Impressions - Hustler in Accra 


Glad I was to see the sunshine.

Before long the warm friendly planet

Had grown into a sulfur furnace.

Soon enough the burning heat set

My frock on fiery, fatal, flames.

Turning my flesh into roast beef

I rent my clothes in fright

And flew in search of the Crag


Read Here: Village Boy Impressions - Televised News in Ghana

 

Then I saw the kinsman’s hut

That seemed so hale and hearty.

I was weak but I knocked and kicked

Until the door seemed to open.

But where was the headman?

He was gone, gone, never to return.

Strange eyes stared ferociously at me

So I sped in search of the Crag 


Have you read: Village Boy Impressions - Vipers?


Then I saw the pious one on his knees

So I held onto the hem of his

Garment, waiting in hope for  

My bleeding heart to heal and mend.

But he opened his eyes and said

“Sorry my dear, the Angel has left town”

I rose with a heavy and broken heart

And groped my way in search of the Crag.

 

Village Boy Impressions - Topsy-turvy


Then I heard a voice about me in whispers

“Why do you keep searching,

When I have been so close?.”


Village Boy Impressions - To the Lizard


Then it was as clear as crystal

When the storm could not soak me wet,

And the sun could not scorch me dry,

When the kinsman could not devour 

Nor the pious one condemn,

It was because he stopped them short.

My tears dried and my heart soon healed

Because the Crag was ever so near.

************************************************************************

 By Oparebea Maafo


By the same poet: 






Comments

Post a Comment

Recent Posts

A Lively-Minded Journey Pt. 1

Halting Words for the 'Early' Jacob Adongo Atambilla

What is in a greeting?

Why the Chameleon Has a Broken Head