To the Lizard: An Ode



On the wall in my backyard,

In the shade of the tall tree in flower

Round and round the trunk, up and down

A she-lizard dances with her mate.

My heart rolled back the years

Till I stood by the crags in childhood 

Wide-eyed with a taut catapult in hand

A roughly round pebble held ready to fly

As we circled the rocks in the noon sun.




Agama, what a good sport!

Swift, spirited and agile

Just as good at swerving as

Breaking suddenly in flight. 

Quite a wonder and a challenge to us.

But so also were we, the little cats

Nimble of foot and deft with our shots.

Driven by our little rumbling tummies;

The constant nagging companions of our boyhood.






Our favourite was always the landlord

Blue-grey body, and yellow tail

Red or orange head, so cocky

Mocking us from your elevated post

On the crags, roofs, high walls or tree branches,

Defying our flying stones and curses. 

Our pride is evident in the exultant shout

When a shot finds its mark

And he comes crashing from his perch!

But it was really his nourishing effect

Little thought of by any but us

That made us so gleeful and smug. 

For when hunger called as it did often

And mother had no answer 

Agama Lizard was always an adequate 

And timely response.

 

For a glimpse of other childhood endeavours, click here


We sought Agama and his kind everywhere;

About the house, the crags, and the ruins

The neem, the thorn, the baobab, 

And just about any tree or shrubbery. 

When we had slain a good number,

We turned to the huge tamarind tree.

There to cook him in tin cans or

Roast on fiery coal fires and

Spice with salts and peppers. 


Read: Village Boy Impressions - Gleaning Groundnuts 


In a near-distant future to come, 

if God permits

When old age has crept upon this generation,

I should recall our times together

Whilst reclining upon my dampala at even

My heart then shall glow with pleasure and

My wrinkled cheeks shall light up

And many shall look thereon and wonder

Only I shall know in my heart

The secret for that spot of joy.

************************************************************************




Other Poems Celebrating the North of Ghana


Comments

  1. Agandin, I love your poetry very much. I can feel the energy in each word and the images they conjure up in my mind speak to me directly, and I think they do to every Buloa who knows life in our tradtional cultural setting, in the village.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading elder brother. Knowing your own writing prowess, it means a lot more. Thank you!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Recent Posts

A Lively-Minded Journey Pt. 1

Halting Words for the 'Early' Jacob Adongo Atambilla

Buli Series 8 - Money in Buli

What is in a greeting?