Lines Composed in Rainy Season

 


They call her North who know her not

or prefer the bliss of their own ignorance.

Not I, and a million assorted voices

Speaking a thousand tongues of men

Whom she nurses in her fertile valleys

And dandle on her rolling grassy plains

We call her, home...

 

Land of many colours and contrasts;

A vast desert of dusty brown in off-season;

Battered black and broken with wind and fire. 

But wait the rains in their time, 

And yonder before us lie verdant valleys

An endless stretch of wood and grassland,

Amid which countless streams run,

Sparkling in the sweet morning air! 


In cultivated fields, women and men, daily

Rejoice in the dignity of their labours,

Children hop and play around every homestead,

With unfeigned childhood delight and innocence.

Herds of lumbering cattle graze across lush plains

And what a delight to the eye to behold

Every flower and blade of grass with pleasure, 

Enjoy the very air they draw!


My heart leaps at the sight of the meadows!

The warmth of the breeze heals my heart,

The fragrance of budding flowers stirs me,

The blended notes of birds and insects,

Refreshes and cheers my drooping soul,

I am enthused by the very mud I trod

And the sight of fields in bloom

Sends the blood to warm my cheeks. 


When in sweet contemplative solitude 

I muse upon this blessing so bestowed

And think how all this will soon be charred 

By the wildfires of her obstinate sons

Then does the blood boil in my breast

And the fumes rise to choke me.

So I do hurry from my burrow

To behold her face in fair season

Ere the sight is taken from me.




Other Poems Celebrating the North of Ghana

The Seasons at Home

The Baobab Tree

On Behalf of the Trees

To the Lizard, an Ode

Harmattan

A Tale of Buluk

The Song of Atuga

Halting Words for Nab Ayieta Azantilow I

Collecting Termites

Bird Scaring

Tethering Goats

Gleaning Groundnuts

Cracking Groundnuts

Farming Hymns

The Mighty Abelikpien

The Call of the Stream

Feok - the Hallowed Festival of the Bulsa

The Morning after Feok

The Wailing Bride

The Matrimonial Dance

Unsung Heroines

A Moonlit Night

Village Songs

The News in Ghana


Comments

  1. Vivid imagery. I can see the land in my mind's eye, and it's as beautiful as captured here. I can hear the humming birds too. Sweet home sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very good composition. Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Recent Posts

A Lively-Minded Journey Pt. 1

Halting Words for the 'Early' Jacob Adongo Atambilla

What is in a greeting?

Why the Chameleon Has a Broken Head